The Early Years
An unimpressive structure, the first meeting house in Camden was small, long, and plain. The rudimentary structure was erected circa 1798 on King Street, located between Church and Campbell streets. A few years later, the building saw a new coat of paint as well as an enlargement of the existing structure for a growing congregation. After the 1825 Quarterly Conference, which was the quarterly Methodist meeting, a new lot located on West DeKalb Street was purchased and a new church built. The new building was very simple, but did feature some plain adornments. The project was completed in 1828 and would serve the church for just over fifty years. A small parsonage was added at the rear of the property in 1830.